Meet Nikkita, a Running Route Curator at RunGo, a Vancouver-based running app that provides voice turn-by-turn navigation for runners.
Originally from Singapore, Nikkita is currently based in Vancouver where she is finishing up her degree in International Relations. Having a passion for a variety of things from learning languages to travelling, Nikkita started running 3 years ago initially as a way to keep fit. Running along the Stanley park seawall on a regular basis, she realized how much she loved running and how therapeutic it was. As she travelled, running has also allowed Nikkita to discover to new places and really immerse herself in various cultures, giving her a renewed perspective of the sport
Nikkita is excited to be running her first ever half marathon race this May at the Vancouver BMO marathon. She hopes to continue inspiring everyone around her to run and explore all the beauty around them.
Find Nikkita online on http://unachicayelmundo.com or follow her running and travel adventures on Instagram
1. RUNVAN: Take us back to the first time you ran in the Vancouver Marathon, Half Marathon, 8KM, Granville Island Turkey Trot, Fall Classic or your first race. What was it like? How long ago was it? What do you think has changed since then in the Vancouver running scene?
The East Side 10K was my first ever race. I was living in Spain for the summer when I saw a promotion for the race and signed up for it impulsively. At the time, although I had been running regularly, I had never run 10K before (a distance that doesn’t seem like a lot anymore). The day of the race, I was terrified and remember thinking about backing out but once I started running it all felt good. I ran the whole distance without stopping and that’s when I realized I could and should push myself further.
Since then I’ve been running constantly and am always signing myself up for more races. The Vancouver running scene has been so supportive and I’ve never felt better running in any other city!
2. RV: Name a few of your favourite places to run in Vancouver or your city. Why do they stand out for you?
Wow that’s hard – there are so many gorgeous places to choose from! I’m usually running along the seawall or run-commuting from UBC to downtown along Spanish Banks, Jericho Beach and Kitsilano Beach. I recently started getting into trail running and love the Stanley Park trails as well!
3. RV: Running is a great way to see the world. Of all the places you’ve traveled to outside of Vancouver or your city, whether it be for competition or for pleasure, which was your favourite spot to run in and why?
Lisbon – Hands down! Its just so amazing running through History, culture and right by the water. One of my favourite runs while I was there was from Lisbon to Belém!
4. RV: What is your pre-race routine?
I usually have a bowl of pasta the night before and go for a light run. I get nervous on the morning of the race and lose my appetite but do a 10 minute run to warm my muscles just before racing.
5. RV: Pay it forward: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received from a parent, coach, or mentor about running? OR got your own advice? Share it with us!
“Think about the journey and not how fast you are.” When I first started running, I used to beat myself over how I was slow or had a bad race. Once I started to look at each race as a journey, I’ve come to appreciate the benefits of running!