RESOURCESTraining Tips, running advice + more
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Marathon?
A marathon is a competitive long-distance race spanning 42.2 KM or 26.2 miles.
The BMO Vancouver Marathon in May is Vancouver’s only Marathon, and the host of the BC Marathon Championships.
What is the distance of a Marathon?
A Marathon is equivalent to 42.2 KM or 26.2 miles. A Half Marathon is 21.1KM or 13.1 miles.
What types of running races are there?
There are several race distances for runners to choose from. RUNVAN® offers events ranging from 5KM up to a full Marathon, in addition to shorter distances for kids. Search by distance.
How long do I need to train for a Marathon?
To properly prepare for a Marathon, runners train an average of six to eight months and run four times a week.
You can find a sample 17-week training plan designed by Running Room founder, John Stanton, here.
What is the best weather for running a Marathon?
The optimal condition for running a Marathon is clear skies and temperatures between 10ºC and 18ªC.
Vancouver’s only Marathon event is held annually on the first weekend of May. This is traditionally an ideal time to race in Vancouver, and has proven perfect conditions for running a Marathon or Half Marathon.
What are the most popular destination races?
According to Forbes Travel Guide, the top destination marathons in the world include the BMO Vancouver Marathon in May, Tokyo Marathon, Boston Marathon, and New York City Marathon. A complete list can be found here.
5 TIPS FOR RUNNING IN THE RAIN
Essential tips for running in the rain
- Wear moisture-wicking clothing: Avoid cotton and choose clothing made of moisture-wicking matertials that will keep you dry and comfortable throughout your run. This wil help prevent chafing and discomfort.
- Wear a hat with a brim – A hat with a brim will help keep the rain out of your eyes and off your face, making your run more comfortable.
- Shoes: Make sure your shoes have good traction to help prevent slipping on wet surfaces. If the soles of your shoes are worn out, it may be time for a new pair! Consider wearing a pair of shoes specifically designed for wet conditions.
- Be visible: Rainy conditions make it harder for drivers to see you, so wear reflective gear or bright colours to help make you more visible to motorist.
- Protect your electronics: Use a waterproof case or plastic bag to keep your phone dry.
Tips for safely running in hot weather
Beat the heat: advice for running in hot weather
Running in hot weather can be challenging. Here are some tips to help you run comfortably and safely in hot weather.
- Plan your runs for the cooler parts of the day. Avoid running during the hottest part of the day, usually between 10am and 4pm. Try running early in the morning or later in evening when the temperatures are cooler.
- Wear breathable clothing: Choose lightweight and breathable materials that are moisture wicking. Avoid dark colours that absorb heat and make you feel hotter.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your run to prevent dehydration. Consider incorporating eletrolytes into your hydration plan. Carry a water bottle on your run, plan a route that passes by water fountains or shops where ou can refill your bottle.
- Protect yourself from the sun: Wear sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun. As mentioned earlier, running early in the morning or in the evening will help you avoid peak times of harmful UV rays.
- Slow down your pace: running in hot weather is harder on your body, so keep your pace slow and don’t worry about speed or time. Listen to your body and adjust your pace as needed.
- Acclimate to the heat gradually: start with shorter runs in the hot weather and gradually increase your time and distance as your body adjusts. Safety should always be your top priority when running in hot weather. Listen to your body, take precautions, and you can still enjoy your runs and stay healthy.
10 Fun Cheers to motivate marathoners
- Keep going!
- You’ve got this!
- You’re amazing!
- Stay strong!
- Push through the pain!
- You’re almost there!
- Believe in yourself!
- Don’t give up!
- Finish strong!
- One step at a time!
From the RUNVAN Community
Running Tips + Advice
Forerunners shares tips for First half race week
By ForerunnersFIRST HALF MARATHON RACE WEEK SUGGESTIONS The last week of your running program is mostly a week of...
Ankle Mobility Exercises for Runners
By Coast Performance Rehab ClinicAnkle mobility exercises for runners As a runner, each foot hits the ground between...
Hip Strengthening for Runners
By Coast Performance Rehab Clinic. It is no surprise that runners are known for having weak hip muscles. Running is a constant forward motion and so little time is spent training with side-to-side movement.
Race Day Advice for First-Time Marathoners
By RUNVAN®. You’ve put in the work, done the training, and now, Race Day is right around the corner. It’s natural for those Race Day jitters to hit, but it’s important to remember – this is your time to let all that hard work and discipline pay off.
Core Exercises for Runners
By Coast Performance Rehab Clinic. One of the worst things that can happen to a runner is to be sidelined by an injury, especially just before an important race. There are numerous reasons why runners get injured.
What to expect from your first running race
By RUNVAN®. You’ve put in the work, marked your calendar, and now you’re well on your way to running your first-ever race – and we’ve got some tips to get you all the way there.
Optimizing Visibility and Safety While Running
By Rackets & Runners. Autumn is a wonderful time of the year to run, and cooler temperatures create ideal running conditions. Similarly, there are other factors to consider such as lighting and safety.
Moving from 10K to Half Marathon
By RUNVAN®. Half Marathons are rapidly trending towards one of the most popular long-distance events, and conquering the 21.1KM means you’re halfway to running the full 42.2KM.
How to Choose Running and Walking Shoes
By Rackets & Runners. With thousands of different models of shoes on the market, it’s virtually impossible for consumers to keep up and select the most appropriate brand and model for their individual foot type and function.
Things to Do in Vancouver in May
By RUNVAN®Things to do in Vancouver in May Vancouver, home of the award-winning BMO Vancouver Marathon, is a perfect...
Reasons to Run a Marathon
By RUNVAN®. To many, running a Marathon may seem like a long-shot – a goal we set without the intention of ever completing it. But with more training resources at our disposal than ever, finishing a Marathon is much more in reach than we’d think.