Runner’s Nutrition with Four Seasons’ Executive Chef Ned Bell
[threecol_one]Hi! My name is Ned Bell, and I’m the Executive Chef at the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver and YEW Seafood + Bar.
- I’m also a runner, and as I leave the hotel for my afternoon run around Stanley Park today, I look forward to completing my 8th marathon in the BMO Vancouver Marathon on May 4th, 2014. I know that a healthy mind and body—one that’s focused, well rested, and fuelled with the right foods–is just as important as the distance I cover.
My own diet and food in general are very important to me. I’m a strong advocate for food security—that’s when all people, at all times, have access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food—and the proper management of the systems that keep it in place.
My passion for “Plant Based, Nutrient Dense” cooking, which includes sourcing
[/threecol_one] [threecol_one]sustainable seafood and supporting local and seasonal farmers, fishermen, and artisans, is tireless and a part of who I am.
I like to say that my food is both “globally inspired and locally created.”
I feed thousands of people a week, but I am also a father of two boys. How we cook at work and at home is the most important job we have, whether we are living here in Vancouver or elsewhere in this beautiful province or country.
Over the next several weeks, I’ll be sharing my stories and recipes (below) with you. I hope you enjoy them while you train to run, walk, or wheel your way across the finish line at the best marathon in the best city in the world.
Enjoy, and let’s get running!
Green Power Smoothie
- 1 cup green garbanzo beans
- 1 large green apple, core removed
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp ginger
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- ½ cup Ice cubes
Green Magic Smoothie
- 1 cup green garbanzo beans
- 2 cups frozen diced mango
- 1 cup ripe avocado
- 1 cup fresh apple juice
“Shaken” Green Garbanzo Bean, Quinoa, and Cauliflower Salad, with Cranberries and Raw Cashews
This is a simple recipe that’s great for lunch or dinner after a run or workout. It’s a perfect and healthy meal on the go and can be served chilled or warm. Add cottage cheese or tofu to make an even more substantial meal!
Bonus: Try replacing the veggies with fresh or more dried fruit and add some seeds and Greek yogurt to make a protein-packed breakfast.
- 1.5 cup each of cooked red, black, and golden quinoa
- ½ cup green garbanzo beans
- 3/4 cup cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1/8 cup toasted cashews (pecans, walnuts, or almonds can work, too)
Lime & Honey dressing:
- 1 cup camelina oil (or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/8 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- Blend all the dressing ingredients together in a bar blender or vita mix
- Shake the quinoa, green garbanzo beans, and cauliflower together with 2 tbsp of dressing.
- Garnish with cashews and enjoy!